When Do I Need to Hire an Attorney or a Public Adjuster?

A public adjuster is the numbers guy. The public adjuster is who figures out the value of the claim and assists you with preparing it and presenting it to the insurance company. If the insurance company starts to conduct an investigation – wants an examination under oath, wants recorded statements – that’s when you need to go to an attorney who specializes in this. You may think that an examination under oath is just going in and answering questions, it’s not. An attorney you specializes in property insurance cases, or fire loss cases, will prepare you for the examination under oath. Which could last hours, and actually days. So you need an attorney to help you with the legal matters. You need a public insurance adjuster licensed by the state to assist you with presenting the numbers and the claim.